Monday, June 4, 2012

Insurgent

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Not much world building or setting explanations to start out with. If you haven't just finished reading Divergent, you will feel a little lost. This contributed to me not caring about many of the characters, even when they died--this book didn't give me much of a reason to care about them, even if they were big players in the last one. I hardly remembered any of them, then combine that with the fact that even more characters are introduced, and I could care less.

One part that I thought was interesting was getting into the mind of Tris. It took me a while to get past the fact that she just sounded whiny and confused all the time (like most of the book) to the point where I realized that she is dealing with a seriously traumatic event, and having a hard time with it. I would have loved something that prompted me to think that earlier, but for most of the book she just bugged me.

Mixed up in that was all the teenage romance drama with Four. So back and forth and so drama. Put that together with Tris' mental issues and somewhat self-injuring tendencies, and it smacked a little of Twilight. Because of this, I felt like there really wasn't too much action. A lot of running around from different places to other places, but I didn't feel like the plot really advanced until the last fourth of the book. This was the total opposite of Divergent, where the action and character development took center stage and the romance was a wonderful side part of the book. Switch that, and you'll have Insurgent.

A redeeming quality would be the storyline, but even that was a bit predictable at the end. And of course it's a series book, so you'd be silly not to expect a cliffhanger. I really liked Divergent, so I think I will read the next one, even though this one was a bit of a disappointment. I do want to see where the storyline goes, and overall I like her style of writing. So we'll see, right?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment