Tuesday, December 18, 2012

REVIEW: Reached, by Ally Condie

Reached (Matched, #3)Reached by Ally Condie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Standing on the shaky legs of the Rising's rebellion, Cassia, Ky, and Xander must follow who they believe to be the Pilot in order to save millions of lives as well as resolve the feelings and connections between each of them.

Although slow to start, I found myself wrapped up in the story before too long. I expected it to be more intense, but really even what I thought were the intense parts weren't hardly intense at all. Other parts were hard for me to like because I would rather experience, or figure out from hints the author leaves, what's happening in the story rather than being told through lots of rather one-sided explanatory dialogue from the characters. Also, I felt like they were all just dancing around the resolution at the end, when it seemed SO OBVIOUS. I mean, come on Cassia! Put two and two together here and speak up for the poor boy!

Writing this last book from the perspective of the three main characters was a good move. It was nice to get inside the head of each. I just didn't like how it each of their voices seemed to blend together in the narrative, so I was constantly having to check the top of the page to see which character I was reading. They weren't distinct enough.

Have to say though, it was such a lovely thing to read because Condie's writing is nothing if not poetic. It flows through every page and is just dreamy. It makes her characters more relatable and and easier to understand, especially since the way she ties Cassia, Ky, and Xander all together seems perfect, in a bit of a familiar dystopian-girl-stuck-in-a-love-triangle way. Really though, I enjoyed the way she wove their stories and actions to be so connected, and resolved in such a neat fashion. Definitely not a bad ending to the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment