Monday, March 25, 2013

REVIEW: THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER

 The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The premise and general storyline were actually really fascinating and promising... I enjoyed the throwback to H.G. Wells and the creepy Victorian thriller feeling, especially after the first few scenes. And the twist at the end.... wow! didn't see that one coming! And the other twist at the very end was pretty surprising too... And will probably draw interest to the sequel. However, I did feel like the plot was loose... There were long bits of unimportant sitting around punctuated with moments of real action. It definitely could have used some tightening up, and really, didn't need to be that long. 

Also, it focused entirely too much on the love triangle. I got so sick of it and all of the main characters' cliche thoughts, like "my skin was on fire where his fingers brushed my arm . . ." Seriously, get it under control here! While I never really connected with her character, I was pleasantly surprised by the other two love interests--at first they seemed to be rather stock characters but turned out to have a darker side that made them more interesting. 


Overall, I wouldn't recommend for struggling readers because of the length and loose plot, but it was interesting in concept and at those intense moments of action, which would be enough to carry you through to the next moment. You might like this if you liked the Delirium series, The Selection, or a romance with a slight dark, fantasy/science fiction-y twist. Or maybe Frankenstein lite + teenage girl hormones romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment