Thursday, May 2, 2013

REVIEW: FRENCH KIDS EAT EVERYTHING

French Kids Eat Everything: How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters
by Karen Le Billon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't pick this up because I'm any kind of Francophile (although I read & enjoyed Bringing up Bebe), but I read it because my friend recommended it to me, saying it made her and her family eat healthier.

Peppered with some great research to back up these principles, the ideas really make sense, regardless if you're French, American, Canadian, etc. I do think that the contrast between two cultures (French/North American) put things in perspective, even if it was a little sad to the North American who isn't doing things "right". It allows you to really examine your own food culture as the author is examining hers. While it felt a little repetitive sometimes, the thorough explanation of the principles, and how the author autobiographically describes them as she encounters them in French culture, was smooth and easy reading. She is very open about things, especially her mistakes, which is helpful when she's trying to make a point.

And in the end, I'm pretty convinced to adapt to some of the healthier ways of eating that she talks about, like no snacking, eating real food, and eating together as a family (love that!)--some of my favorite "rules". The fascinating, in-depth look into French food culture and the recipes in the back that look easy and delicious are all things that bring this book together nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment