Sunday, December 8, 2013

REVIEW: ALLEGIANT


Allegiant by Veronica Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I expected this to end like most other dystopian series books end--with a resolution of the love story by a promise of the characters being together forever, and having a bright new hope for the future. I was pleasantly surprised by what Roth did with the ending, and can't help but applaud her for treating her characters in a way that reflects their development throughout the books, and for making her ending different than many others. It made it memorable, whether or not you liked it. Which I did, simply because it is memorable and different. (You'll either vehemently hate me or really agree with me on this . . . polarization is unavoidable here.)

The pace and thoughtfulness of this last book gave the series more roundness, although you could consider it slower in action than the others. There are definitely scenes of intense action (and some romantic Tris-Four moments) to keep the plot moving forward, but the overall tone still leaves me considering the first book in the series as the best one. Coming back to the ending though--it's worth finishing the series for!

No comments:

Post a Comment