Monday, December 15, 2008

Simply Amazing

Since beginning this blog I have realized how impossible it is to talk about all of the wonderful books out there! But I still feel strongly about sharing the books that have touched my life, and books that I think would touch the lives of others. Here are a few that I have read recently that are simply amazing and eye-opening:

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. This book blew me away. I learned about and came to love these Mirabal sisters for who they are and what they have done. An amazing and moving story that also made me grateful for the freedoms I have in this country. This is the story of the Mirabal sisters, real people who lived in the Dominican Republic. Together they were a large part of the rebellion which brought the horrible dictatorship of Trujillo to an end. They are brave, strong, and beautiful, and just like all of us, scared sometimes, and love their families.



Amazing Grace by Jonathon Kozol. This is an absolutely incredible look at a place so different from mine- the ghettos of the Bronx. It was incredibly enlightening. It was hard to find hope in their situation, except for in the futures of the children. Shocking in the way that life is in the Bronx, and the realities that these children and people have to deal with. VERY powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment