Wednesday, October 14, 2009

ROTH- a commentary on our world

The Plot Against America (Vintage International) The Plot Against America by Philip Roth


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I feel like I have too much to say about this book to write a review on it that would be short and not go into any kind of great depth . . .Roth really had me believing at times that this had really happened, and I think that just shows the quality of the writing and the amount of research and study that went into this. I also think that it is a magnificent commentary on our world today. That is as brief of a statement as I can give regarding the social/political commentary aspect of this novel- to say any more would require me to really go in depth about this. But, I would say that this book will probably be one of the top ones to read and study because of the social and political commentary about the world that we live in today. Also an interesting expose of the power of not only anti-semitism, but also on how a person would feel if they were a victim of discrimination and fear. I entirely enjoyed the perspective of 9 year old Roth- full of fear and confusion, and confronting the reality that his parents are not the superheroes that every child once though their parents were.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment