Tuesday, November 24, 2009

i know why . . .

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
You can't help but notice the way Maya Angelou uses language in this book. It's powerfully revealing and emotionally charged in such a way that it goes beyond surface descriptions and puts words to the deep and unknown feelings.

Marguerite is a strong spirit. She does so many things, such as driving home from Mexico or getting the job, that show how strong of a character she is. But at the same time, all of her fears and weaknesses are revealed in her thoughts and perceptions of herself and others around her. These two aspects of her character, as they are revealed together, make her story about growing up very real. Real doesn't always mean pleasant, but there is some of the joy of discovery that happens in adolescence in her story.

p.s. I was not prepared for it to end that way!

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment