Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Book Whisperer

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every ChildThe Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Teachers definitely need to read this. I am definitely a reader too- and this helped with finding some concrete ways/strategies to translate that into my classroom. Loved all the research in there too. Made me truly think about some practices, like the whole-class novel, and how to make my classroom more effective. One issue that lingered in my mind after reading it was that I wish that boy readers could have been addressed a little more. Having just read Wilhelm's Reading Don't Fix No Chevys, and seeing in my own classroom that a lot of the things that boys read are not "books"-- think magazines (ESPN is a favorite in my classroom), wikipedia articles, etc., how would you combine your knowledge of boys' real world reading habits with the type of classroom that Miller advocates? I'm not really sure, but I'm definitely going to try.
(Note: this is a teacher book!)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment