Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In The Garden of Beasts

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's BerlinIn the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I absolutely love Erik Larson. He has a talent for cliffhangers, and I have a weakness for history books. Very excited for this one and it's great so far.

Didn't disappoint. I love how Larson focused in on this one family, and the events leading up to WWII. The perspective of this family was great, because I think so many times--how could people let so many horrible things happen? but Larson revealed the climate in Berlin at the time; the climate that was the precursor to what we all know in retrospect as one of the worst times in history. I was so impressed with the writing . . . always am with Larson. Also, this was great insight into some of the major players of that time- lots of shocking details and stories that made me stop and say WHAT? that really happened?

Also, don't skip over the notes at the end- Larson loves to hide juicy bits in there that you won't want to miss . . . (Note: This is real history, more for mature readers.)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment