Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Coal Black Horse

Coal Black HorseCoal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have a thing for Civil War books, and quite possibly a thing for Cormac McCarthy too. This book satisfied both of my desires in that sense. Told in a somewhat sparse manner similar to McCarthy, it still had Olmstead's own style of writing that is at the same time poetic (but very descriptive) and haunting. The tragedies of the Civil War stay with you, especially when told in such a raw way in this book. A beautiful read just because of the way he puts words together to form images of a horrible, but meaningful, time. The characters were also memorable. I loved following Robey on his coming of age journey that was so full of development, personal revelations, and also symbolic meaning. I really came to like the boy. I also fell in love with his horse--a powerful, intuitive character that provides a constant in the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment