Monday, April 15, 2013

REVIEW: REQUIEM (DELERIUM #3)


Requiem
by Lauren Oliver
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Absolutely, whole-heartedly, I love her writing. So poetic. I'm pretty sure I've read this whole series just for that, and everything else was just something on the side.

I really didn't feel so strongly about the plot and characters as I did the writing, though--something I've been feeling the whole series. It felt the same as a lot of other dystopian books, and wasn't anything incredibly exciting. These characters (as is somewhat typical in dystopian YA) often have severe communication issues, and if they just took a second to talk to each other, then the book would be shorter by half. But they don't, so we get to live through their angsty, broken-hearted drama.

But I'm ok with that, because I love her writing. Did I mention how great it is? It's a dream to read, and I often found myself enchanted by the metaphors and flow . . . so enchanted that the rather sudden, open ending didn't sting quite so much. Other things that I didn't notice or mind so much were how it seemed a little too long--building up to something that didn't quite happen, or the unresolved feeling you're left with. It was entertaining, and had some thoughtful ideas on love and freedom that probably could have been explored more, especially with Hana coming back into the story.

I'd recommend this for readers who are into dystopian romances with some action parts, like those who enjoyed the Under the Never Sky books, the Mara Dyer series by Michelle Hodkin, and the Across The Universe series by Beth Revis.

No comments:

Post a Comment