Thursday, October 24, 2013

REVIEW: HOW TO LOVE


How to Love by Katie Cotugno
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The exploration of such a real, raw issue was interesting. The characters act fairly typically of how real people act in similar situations--teenage girls with lifelong crushes, boys who are too cool for school. They struggle, their situation is not easy, and the resulting emotional aspect reflects the hopeful and hopelessness of reality.
I couldn't find it in me to like the main characters. But maybe that doesn't really affect things much-- it's about going back to something that you can't resist--even though it might not be good for you. It's because the author really crafted that part of the story, and kept things realistic, that I couldn't completely dislike it.

There is a great secondary cast of characters that add a lot of depth to the story, especially Soledad and Serena's dad. I just had a hard time with the two main characters being so self-centered, and not really growing out of it . . . that made me not like them more than anything else. I finished it quickly; the writing, particularly the dialogue, flows nicely and is easy to read--that, and I got tired of that Lil Wayne song popping in my head every time I looked at the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment