Friday, October 18, 2013

REVIEW: NIGHT FILM


Night Film by Marisha Pessl
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Right from the beginning, this book had me in its grip. This is psychological thriller at it's best--mystery, uncertainty, creepiness, and suspense. The book jacket declares it to be hypnotizing, and I really couldn't think of a better word.

The attention to detail was practically flawless. Everything fitting together perfectly, and of course the creation of the auteur character Cordova and all of his films was just incredible--I had to check myself a few times because it was so easy to think of him as real. The graphics likewise made the story seem so real--so now--that they didn't trip up the narrative or seem too crafted; they were seamless and added some great visual detail that helps the reader get into the narrative. Not only did the details and the graphics make the book feel so real and now, but the pace of the story was
engaging. Readers often discover trapdoors right with the characters--as they are just looking down to see what they're standing on, or often without warning, falling right through.

I particularly admire the author for the way she allows a central question to guide her through the story. It connects all of the characters and despite the darkness of the action sometimes, gives it a light and a meaning. In this case, it was the insistence on living life beyond the edge, going to the place where there is beauty and pain.

I waited a little while to read this, but I'm sort of glad I did . . . perfect for Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment