Tuesday, January 28, 2014

REVIEW: OPHELIA AND THE MARVELOUS BOY

Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book has such a lovely moody tone! The dusty museum, the ghosts, the frightening adventures, and the snow and frost make this a perfectly pitched magical story for the middle-grade audience. I have to say that I think it's good timing with the Snow Queen story--with the raging popularity around Disney's Frozen, this is a great rendition of the story for middle-grade readers.

I thought that some of the chapter titles "In Which . . ." gave away a little too much. But that really seems to be my only complaint. The characters, especially Ophelia, have a lot of heart and are very brave. The writing has an understated poetic and dramatic feel, which if we're comparing, is similar in feeling to Neil Gaiman. This is definitely a book I would recommend to middle-grade and even slightly older readers not just for the thoughts on bravery and things, but for the suspenseful and exciting story.

An advanced copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment