Tuesday, February 4, 2014

SHORT REVIEWS: THE INVENTION OF WINGS + WHY I READ + HYPERBOLE AND A HALF


The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love how it depicted Sarah's search for meaning in her life. Beginning with complicated and often difficult early years, she searched for purpose and felt its absence through most of her life. Her dedication to her inner idea and purpose for herself is inspiring. Historically fascinating as it brings the powerful story of the Grimké sisters to greater light.

Some plot points felt expected, more in the romance category, but weren't a major detraction.  This book also doesn't refrain from telling about slavery like it was. Painful. Handful's character shines.


Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books
by Wendy Lesser
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was a bit surprised that I liked this so much . . . at first I was groaning a bit about how much she discusses some strong classical literature, but the conclusions she reaches are brilliant and entirely relatable. I skipped over some parts (the part


about translations--not my thing) but especially enjoyed her thoughts on character & plot, and grandeur & intimacy. It's very reflective--a pleasant quality given the subject matter.

"For we are plotting creatures, we humans, and we like to be told a story that goes somewhere. We like to sense the connections between seemingly disparate events, even though we may recognize that real disparities rarely resolve so neatly. Life often foils us in this respect, with its coincidences and its dead ends. We turn to literature to remedy the loss, and to impose some kind of meaningful order on the non sequential. And good literature . . . meets us only halfway."




by Allie Brosh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Really a laugh-out-loud type of book, especially (for me) the parts about the dogs. Although the parts about depression and identity, while being humorous, are some deep-thinking and aren't lightly passed over. It was a pleasantly quick read--perfect length for the subject matter and Allie Brosh's strong voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment