Monday, February 10, 2014

REVIEW: CRUEL BEAUTY

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So unexpected! I really was surprised how much I liked this. While the main character was a little predictable at times, I really couldn't stop reading until I found out what happens. It's suspenseful even though you know how the story of Beauty & the Beast ends; the integration with other fairy tales and mythology, which at times can make the reader feel lost, are interestingly layered to create that suspense. Despite her predictability, Nyx is strong and witty and the dynamic with her sister makes things much more interesting. Of course the Beast character (ummm, how to pronounce his name??) is handsomely captivating and dark, and Shade completes the love triangle to make things even more interesting--especially at the end!

Cleverness, style, and a lovely use of language are not missing. Sure, there's lots of talk of being a maiden and that sort of thing, but it doesn't describe anything beyond kissing.  And although I think the plot and all the fairytale story lines are slightly too complex for really wide acceptance,  I think this one might become a popular underground favorite.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review. 



No comments:

Post a Comment